Search This Blog

Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Shifter (The Healing Wars: Book 1) aka The Pain Merchants by Janice Hardy


I have to first say that I was pleasantly surprised by this book. Janice Hardy is a new author to add to my collection. (That's right, I'm collecting you *creepy*) LOL. Anyways... on with the review.

A DANGEROUS SECRET. A DEADLY SKILL.
Nya is an orphan struggling for survival in a city crippled by war. She is also a Taker--with her touch, she can heal injuries, pulling pain from another person into her own body. But unlike her sister, Tali, and the other Takers who become Healers, Nya's skill is flawed: she can't push the pain into pynvium, the enchanted metal used to store it. All she can do is shift it into another person, a dangerous skill that she must keep hidden. If discovered, she could be used as a human weapon.


There is more to the back cover synopsis but I feel like the synopsis is way too long. One of my only complaints about this book. Synopsis should be short, sweet, attention grabbing and exciting. Janice Hardy has written something quite unique. I can't think of a single book this one even remotely reminds me of. So interesting the way she has taken the magic of healing and turned it into something so interesting and dangerous for everyone. The characters are so likable, it's like they are friends of mine from my school days that I have kept close and friendly with since. There is not a single chapter that is boring. Mrs. Hardy keeps the action and excitement flowing from one chapter to the next, so flawlessly that you don't even realize you have started a new chapter. I found myself a couple of times needing to stop for a break and being like, "as soon as I finish this chapter", but then I skip into the next chapter without even realizing it. LOL. At 370 pages long in the paper back format, it only took me 5 hours to read this amazing book. Already ordered the next one in the series, Blue Fire. Keep a look out for the review on it. Overall I found The Shifter to be refreshing, unique and amazing. 5/5 Stars!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment