Search This Blog

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Airborn by Kenneth Oppel


Airborn by Kenneth Oppel, is a wondrous depiction of an alternate reality. The alternate reality seeming to be of the 1930's, approx. This story is about a cabin boy who chases after the life of his father, who died 3 years previously. Matt Cruse, the cabin boy, only feels at home on the ship, Aurora, where his father had also served as sail maker. In this adventure, Matt meets a young lady passenger. They become companions after the link of connection between curiosity and wonder for the airship they were aboard and the the ominous death of the young lady's grandfather upon the same ship the year previous. Yet, together, these two can't seem to stay out of trouble.

A marvelous tale of aircrafts, fictional fantasy creatures, and happiness. Oppel doesn't let you down, chapter to chapter. There wasn't a single boring page in this book. Everything was interesting, and very descriptive. I found this book at the 1/2 price book store. I first heard about it when I was looking for books that people recommended for those who liked, The Giver. I considered the title lightly until I saw it upon the shelf and said, it must be fate, and bought it. LOL. There are two more books to go with this one. I ordered the second one this morning when I woke up, because I stayed up late finishing reading this one. :) Oppel definitely deserved the multiple awards he won for this novel. At 500 pages, it's bones are hollow, because it seemed to float,airborn, through my mind and the 500 pages didn't seem long at all. 5/5 Stars!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment