Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Wayfarer Redemption (US version of Battleaxe) by Sara Douglass




I have had this book sitting on my shelf for a long time now that I bought one day and kept for a new read when I was bored. Well I regret putting it on the shelf for so long. I should have read it long ago. The Wayfarer Redemption aka Battleaxe by Australian author Sara Douglass(www.saradouglass.com) was a refreshing epic fantasy. I had been looking for a new epic fantasy to read. One that would come close to standards with David Eddings' Belgariad series. This is the first of a trilogy and then there is another trilogy that takes place in the future past the Axis triolgy. I didn't realize this was a series until most of the way through the book (that always seems to happen to me...otherwise I try to avoid series.lol...not that it does me good since I have read so many now.) It took me a little to get into this book at first only because it was so foriegn to me I had a hard time grasping it. It took me 3 days to read this 629 page paper back book. It takes a while to become engrossed in the story only because it takes forever for us to be introduced to the two main characters and learn to like them enough to want to find out what happens to them. Though the main characters, Axis and Faraday, are very likable; there are many people controlling them that we don't like. This can become distressing. Don't let it. This fantasy has some crucial must haves: 1. some sort of magic 2. some sort of prophecy 3. great battle sequences 4. a great Hero 5. a great Heroine. I have yet to even purchase the next book in this series but how could I not? The end leaves us on a cliff and we have to read the next to find out what happens. Though they were nice enough to put a nice couple chapter exert from the next book at the end, I will not read it because it will just torment me that I can't continue to read past those chapters. I will hopefully purchase the book the day after Christmas. Merry Christmas to me :)! Merry Christmas to everyone else and Happy Holidays too! Pick up this book and read it! it's a marvolous read =) 10/10 stars!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment